CenteringPregnancy® is a prenatal care that includes your regular health checkup, along with extra time for group learning and sharing.
Groups start after your first trimester. You will meet with your doctor and other women who have due dates close to yours for 10 sessions throughout your pregnancy.
CenteringPregnancy® is a great way for you to learn and to experience your pregnancy with other women. At each session, you will join other moms who have the same questions you do. Together, you will learn important information about how to care for yourself and your new baby.
CenteringPregnancy® is offered to patients of the UAMS Health Family Medical Center in Fayetteville at no cost.
Watch this video in Spanish and Marshallese.
With Centering, you…
- Have more time with your doctor and care team
- See the same doctor every visit
- Participate more in your healthcare
- Have a dedicated centering coordinator to help with your care
- Have regularly scheduled appointments that begin and end on time
- Learn more about pregnancy
- Are better prepared for birth
- Are better prepared to care for your baby
- Have fun!
Benefits of Centering
- Moms who participate in a Centering group are less likely to have a preemie.
- Moms feel more confident about making healthy decisions for their families and themselves
- Moms have higher breastfeeding rates, which is good for both mom and her baby
- Moms learn more about pregnancy, breastfeeding and taking care of their baby in group sessions
- Moms have more time with their family – no long waits for appointments and no extra classes for breastfeeding or baby care.
- Moms say it’s fun!
Earn free gifts for participation!
Strollers, Pack ‘n’ Plays, car seats and more are available to participants!
How does it work?
You will do some of your own care, such as weighing yourself and taking your blood pressure and will have time alone with your doctor. There will also be group discussion, snacks and activities in a fun and relaxed setting. Your doctor, nurse and other members of your care team will lead the sessions.
Who is in the group?
Your group will include eight to ten other mothers who are due about the same time you are. As the months go by, you will get to know each other. Sometimes partners and support people join the group too. We do ask that you find someone to care for other children during these sessions.
This program is offered in three languages: English, Spanish & Marshallese.
How much time does it take?
We respect your time – groups start and end on time. Each monthly session lasts about two hours. Scheduling in advance makes it easier to plan for work, childcare and other commitments. Sessions are usually held at the same time each month. There are no more long waits to see your doctor for monthly appointments.
|Centering Session||What You’ll Get|
|Session 1: Prenatal Testing||Prenatal Vitamins|
Stretch Mark Lotion
|Session 2: Pregnancy Nutrition & Dental Health||Dental Kits|
|Session 3: Relaxation & Breastfeeding||Lanisoh Starter Set|
|Session 4: Signs of Labor & Family Planning||Diaper Bag|
|Session 5: Labor Comforts, Medications & Planning for Hospital Stay||Frida Labor & Delivery Gown|
|Session 6: Stages of Labor, C-Section, & Vaginal Birth after Cesarean||The Going to Bed Book|
Are You My Mother (Book – English & Spanish)
Newborn Sleep Sack
|Session 7: Baby Arrival, Safe Sleep, & First Days in Hospital||Pack N’ Play|
|Session 8: Taking Care of Your Mental Health||Stroller|
|Session 9: Baby Safety & Feeding Your Baby||Car Seat|
|Session 10: When to Call Your Provider & Newborn Care Basics||Swaddle Blanket|
Baby Frida Basics
Check out our other Family Wellness programs!
The UAMS Healthy Start Program provides moms, dads, partners, and families with education, resources, and support.Healthy Start
We work with fathers, couples and co-parents to ensure that every child has a safe and nurturing environment.Fatherhood FIRE